Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Killer Ivy!

Yeah, I know I know, I promised that I would begin to write daily entries, I know. The reason this entry is so late is because I was hoping, I would be able to put some pictures in, but me, being myself (as in technologicly challenged) at first couldn’t convince my dad that I could use a camera without breaking it (Har har). Then when I finally got permission, and finally had the chance to take my pictures, that was when he told me that we don’t have the cable that downloads photos off the camera and onto the computer. That will come in two months with the rest of our household goods. Well that’s just swell. So come back in two months to get the pictures that go along with this entry.

Anyway. Back to the…cue dramatic music…Killer Ivy of My Back Yard! Dun dun duuuuuuun!

A word of advice: Don’t plant ivy in you’re backyard thinking that it’ll make a nice cover for the berm in the back of you’re yard. Then move away and come back ten years later because this happens:

(insert future picture here)

What the picture should show is about 10 to 15 feet worth of ivy (over a foot thick in some places) creeping towards our house. Only about 10 more feet, and it would begin to take over the house itself. It’s already smothered a tree that is now leaning threateningly over the house. Oh dear.

Now we (meaning my brother and I) have been given the task of clearing all the ivy. Well don’t I feel special. At least its not poison ivy. Give thanks everyday for small miracles. We’ve started clearing, and I must say, its not fun. That first time I was honestly worried that the small dent we had made would be instantly covered over again the next day (It wasn’t). We get about 3 garbage bags full per visit, but what’s actually sort of merciful of the ivy is that even if you grab the even the smallest leaf, the roots will extend all the way back. And the roots are pretty close to surface so its not that difficult to pull up. That is until all those roots become tangled underneath the surface…

But let’s not try to think about that. Best case scenario is that in two months I’ll have it all cleared and it won’t have eaten me. One can only hope.

1 comment:

Lucy Filet said...

You're so funny! Hope the ivy doesn't eat you, like that horrible movie about the ivy that took over people...I don't remember the name, but it was awful.